March 14, 2019

Masking a Playroom Scene

Hello everyone!  Winnie  and Walter (W&W) turned 5 last month and celebrated with a Birthday Bash of fun challenges ending tomorrow.  I started out with a simple baby nursery scene card in mind, but it morphed into a full blown playroom! 😂   Here's my card.


I love stretching supplies, so when W&W's February Leading Lady Rosali altered a couple of stamps to create a Yeti family, it inspired me to stretch a couple of Christmas sets and have the snowboarding yeti hang up his snowboard for a ride on his rocking horse in his playroom!  Images were stamped with Copic friendly black ink on an A2 X-press It cardstock panel and coloured in with Copics.  I had to do some strategic masking because the yeti's right leg had to be in front while the left leg was behind.  Not only was there masking directly on the stamp, mask modifications (pictured below) were required to achieve this scene.


Had this not been a masking challenge, it would have been easier just to stamp the images separately and hand cut them out.  Anyway, the floor area was masked off next and Minty Mint dye ink was blended on with a Clarity brush through a Ticking Stripe stencil to create the wall.  Masked the wall and the "baseboard", then sponged on Kraft ink for the floor.  The sentiment was black heat embossed with clear glitter embossing powder.


As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I would have called it done for a simple nursery scene, but thought it looked too empty.  I decided to take it a step further and added a couple of stuffed animals and a tennis ball to create a playroom.  The images were stamped again with Copic friendly black ink on scraps of X-press It cardstock, coloured with Copics then fussy cut out.  Stacked a couple of pierced white rectangle frames from my stash then assembled the card onto a white top folding card base to finish.


I had a lot of fun with this one.  Thank you for stopping by.









Challenges:
Winnie & Walter - Five Challenge with Shay (5 images and 5 stamp sets - Winter Woodland, Dog-gone Cute, Welcome to the Family, Nutcracker Kisses and Yetitide Greetings)
Winnie & Walter - 3+Stamp Set Challenge with Kelly (5 stamp sets used - see above)
Watercooler Wednesday - #212 Tristan's All About Occasions
Love to Craft - March Anything Goes



14 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

Wow Trina, what an amazing scene with all your characters:) Your colouring is incredible, so much depth.

Heidi Weaver said...

Wow, Trina, what a super job of masking you've done! I love the little playroom you've created. The colours are so bright and happy while the images are simply perfect. Love it! Thanks so much for joining our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

SD pooja said...

So Adorable card ! Loved the entire scene.

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Wow, a lot of work for this card, but such amazing result!! Love how you built the nursery scene, great use of masks and stencil!!!

Darnell said...

All that work paid off with this sensational baby card, Trina! You are a wizard at masking and your coloring is impeccable! I think your eye for design was right: Yeti needed some toys to keep him company in the nursery!! (Love the back wall feature, too!) Hugs, Darnell

Bonnie said...

What a clever job of masking, Trina! I love this playroom scene with all the wonderful details!

Karen Brown said...

I LOVE scene cards and yours is so fun! Great layout, coloring and details. Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday.

nancy littrell said...

Such a fun and colorful nursery room scene, Trina. Your coloring is beautiful too. TFS my friend. Hugs..nancy

Susan said...

Such a sweet scene of the toys playing together. Fabulous colouring!

Monika Reeck said...

wooowzaaa
the coloring is SUPER B Trina
and the scene
oh sooo cuutee
the BG you made also beautiful
great scene and cute card
LOVE LOVE LOVE
hugs
Monika
PS: miss you

Monika Reeck said...

OOh I just read it is a stencil the BG soo coool
Trina...may I ask your help...I guess this product not sell in Germany
I will buy it...do you have Paypal?I will mailing you my address..Fall in love with this Ticking Stripe Stencil :)
Mail me please monik1973 at yahoo dot com

Papercraft Boutique said...

Who would think the Yeti and the rocking horse were modified and combined? You're so good at stretching your supplies, Trina! When I saw the original stamp images, I was amazed again by what you did. Pretty coloring & shadowing and fantastic masking. Adding the stuffed animals to the scene created so much fun and warmth!
Hideko xx

Sam Squires - A Crafting Niche said...

This card made me smile. I love the little devil expression on the rocking horse. Thank you for taking part in the March "Love To Craft Challenge Blog". DT Sam x

Loll said...

Not only are you a master at copic colouring, but your masking skills are also masterful! Great job with this sweet playroom scene you've created, Trina! I LOVE the wallpaper, baseboard and flooring ... amazing background. Adorable altered images too! Great work! xx