June 20, 2019

Double Emboss Birthday

Hi there.  As promised, I am sharing the double embossing technique that I did at the ESCR retreat I attended last month.  This is a dry embossing technique that enables you to emboss both the patterns of an embossing folder (EF) and die onto one piece of cardstock.  A solid non-aperture die is required for this technique to work.  Here's my colourful summer birthday card.


Started by opening the Sunburst EF.  Using painter's tape folded over onto itself, adhered the Circle Peek-a-Boo die with cutting edge facing up against the raised pattern side.


Placed a piece of Bristol paper on top and held it in place with temporary adhesive (Washi tape used here).  This is your EF/die set up.


Added the embossing pad, then ran it through my Big Shot and voila!


You may need to experiment with your machine to get the correct sandwich.  Temporarily adhering the pieces in place is very helpful for this step.  Whatever you do, do not close the EF.

To complete my card, I used the die to die cut a reverse circle mask from masking paper.  Stamped the waves with Sea Breeze and Turquoise dye inks that were gifted to me (thanks, Darnell!).


The sky and sand were created with Salty Ocean, Antique Linen and Vintage Photo distress inks.  Used a brown Copic marker to add specks to the sand and flicked water on the sky for some texture.  Stamped and Copic coloured the adorable duck on a scrap piece of X-press It cardstock, then fussy cut out.  The sentiment was white heat embossed on black cardstock.  Assembled onto a white card base to finish.

This is a fun technique and adds so much interest without adding bulk.  Thank you for stopping by.  Have a wonderful day.










Challenges:
Uniko - #53 Anything Goes optional twist Masculine
Watercooler Wednesday - #226 Dawn's Mascuine Anything Goes
Tuesday Throwdown - #434 Keep It Simple
Love to Craft - June Anything Goes
The Daily Marker - 13th The 30 Day Coloring Challenge
Craft Stamper - Take It Make It
Simon Says IG - June Summer Time Fun

 

17 comments:

Bonnie said...

Love this technique and this sweet card, Trina! Thanks for the great tutorial!

Tristan said...

Wowser, this is a fab card Trina. I love that embossed sun, thanks for sharing the technique. Your little ducky is adorable. Thanks for joining in the fun at the Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week. Tristan DT

Christine Alexander said...

I loved this technique Trina, and just received my circular solid dies so I'm good to go :)
Beautiful card, I love the effect of the sunburst EF, the perfect compliment to your beach scene.

Darnell said...

Thank you for doing a great job of explaining this fun technique again, Trina! This is an amazing example of how cool it is! Beautiful coloring and, omg, I MUST have that cool dude duck!! Also, how did you photograph/add the image of your card in that 3D way that makes it look like it's just grounded into your white blog page? I love it! Hugs, Dolly

nancy littrell said...

Adorable die embossed/dry embossed CAS card design, Trina. I love your cute duck beach scene. As always your coloring is perfect:-) Thank you so much for sharing your detailed and photographed steps for this fun technique. This was one of my favorite techniques at our Retreat. I am looking forward to trying it again my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Jane said...

What an amazing technique, looks really awesome. And then you add all your magic with colours and stamping to create a stunning card! Thanks for playing at Uniko, hope to see you joining in with future challenges too.

Julie B said...

What a great technique, may have to have a try with that. A super scene you've created with the cute duckling too.
So pleased you joined us at Uniko. :)

Cindy H. said...

Wow, what an awesome card! Thank you for sharing how you made it.

SD pooja said...

Its a cool card !!

Mia said...

Gorgeous card, Trina! Great technique! Hugs, my friend.

Karen Brown said...

What a fun summer card...love the duck in sunglasses! Your background is first rate too. Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday.

Colleen said...

Oh, I am just amazed how you color and add such amazing detail to your work! I knew I should have sat next to you, maybe a bit of your gift would have rubbed off on me!! Next time!!! Heart Hugs, Colleen

Lindsey said...

FAbulous embossed background and a really fun surfing dude! Thank you for joining us over at Uniko x

Linda said...

What a great technique .... I have to try that!
Gorgeous card too ..... love the duck! Thank you for joining in with the Uniko challenge xx

Papercraft Boutique said...

What a clever technique, Trina! (Did you think of it yourself?) I'd love to try it.
I adore your coloring with distress inks and Copic markers - the adorable duck and the beach scene are just amazing! I love this card!
Hideko xx

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at LTCC, good luck!!! Amy DT

Sharon Traynor Designs said...

Fantastic technique! No. Wonder you won a prize at Craft Stamper. Well done Trina. Your card looks amazing xx